- strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called statically in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/views.module on line 879.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 607.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_submit() should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 607.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_boolean_operator::value_validate() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::value_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter_boolean_operator.inc on line 159.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_style_default::options() should be compatible with views_object::options() in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_style_default.inc on line 25.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_validate() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_row.inc on line 135.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_submit() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_submit(&$form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_row.inc on line 135.
The Shuar are among the most well organized indigenous peoples. Each community is organized as a centro (village) with its own village representative called “síndico”. All centros (also called bases) are then organized in associations (associaciones) or village clusters which each have a president, vice-president, treasurer and secretary. The different associations (associaciones)are then united in a federation (federación) depending on the geography.
In Pastaza and Arútam, the centros and associaciones are united by FENASH-P (Federacion de Nacionalidades Shuar de Pastaza). In total there are a handful of geographical federations than are united by the mother organization FICSH. FICSH stands for Federacion Interprovincial de Centros Shuar and represents federations from eg. Pastaza, Morona Santiago and Zamora-Chinchipe. There are also a couple of non-associated organizations.
FENASH-P has 4 assiciaciones (Pastaza, Kumai, Pupunas and Charip) and approximately 33 centros with a total of 5500 villagers. Arútam belongs to the Pastaza association.
The area of the federation is approximately 139.000 hectares and is located in the province of Pastaza.
The creation of the FENASH-P began a visionary group of Shuar wanting to protect the environment, ancestral territories and culture with a community-based participatory ideology, supported by governmental and nongovernmental organizations (for more information, please contact FENASH-P).
The Shuar inhabitants in the FENASH-P area are extremely poor in terms of income. The capita income is less than $ 1,000 per year. Unemployment rates are high and there’s a general lack of accessibility to higher education, credits despite the human and natural resources. Most Shuar live to a great extent from subsistence farming and grow crops for family consumption such as cassava, banana, sweet potato, yam, maize, sugarcane, beans and peanuts.
Of the vast territory of 139.245 hectares, about 85% of the forest is still kept in a primary native state, which allows hunting wild animals and gathering of primary forest products such as fruits, seeds and raw materials for making handicrafts such as seeds, fibers, leaves, vegetable dyes, paints and ceramics as well as plants for medicinal plant and sacred rituals such as bark, vines, seeds, flowers, leaves and roots.