- strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called statically in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/views.module on line 879.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 607.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_submit() should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 607.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_boolean_operator::value_validate() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::value_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter_boolean_operator.inc on line 159.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_style_default::options() should be compatible with views_object::options() in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_style_default.inc on line 25.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_validate() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_row.inc on line 135.
- strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_submit() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_submit(&$form, &$form_state) in /var/www/fundecoipa.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_row.inc on line 135.
Puyo is Ecuador’s largest jungle town and the provincial capital of the Pastaza province. The town was founded on November 10th 1899. Today Puyo has a population of approximately 35.000 inhabitants and is a fast growing city and Puyo is the commercial, cultural and political capital of the region.
The city is connected by road to Ambato, Tena, and Macas and from there to the major urban areas of Ecuador. The town is located o is located at an altitude of approximately 950 meter (3116 feet) by the Puyo River (Rio Puyo), which is a tributary of the Pastaza River, that leads into the Amazon River.
The climate is warm and humid but pleasant. Daytime temperature typically range between 18-24 °C, with sun and generally short, but heavy periods of rain daily. The seasonal changes in the climate are relatively small. See weather forecasts in Puyo (similar to Arutam) at: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/84179.html?MR=1
There is a small airport located in the small town of Shell, approximately 10 kilometers north-west of Puyo. Small aircraft, both private and commercial, depart daily to small airstrips in the Amazon, and occasionally to Quito in the case of severe medical emergencies.
The name Puyo is derived from the Kichwa word for "cloudy" as the local climate is wet and the weather is often overcast.
How to get there
There are two busterminals in Puyo. The main terminal where the buses from Quito and Baños arrive is about 1 km southwest of town. The other busterminal is located near the Mariscal market (Mercado Mariscal). From there buses leaves to small communities.
There are buses via Baños ($2, 1½ hours) to Ambato ($2.50, 2½ hours). Buses to Quito ($5, 5 hours) leave about every hour and go either via Baños or Baeza. Buses to Tena ($2.50, three hours) also leave hourly. Flota Pelileo has one bus daily to Guayaquil ($9, eight hours). Buses to Macas ($5, four hours) leave every hour
In recent years, Puyo has become noted by tourists for its natural beauty. Surrounded by mountains, forest, rivers and natural depressions, the abundance of surrounding wildlife and scenery is absolutely breathtaking. The city also has a good infrastructure, providing visitors with good accommodation and a variety of activities. It is a friendly town with no to little crime and you feel safe when walking the streets.
There are several ATM machines in Puyo where you can use Visa and MasterCard and several other credit cards.
Fiestas in Puyo
- The Puyo Carnaval is a famous Ecuadorian holiday. It is celebrated each year in the days leading up to Lent.
- Other major holidays are the Day of the Ecuadorian Amazon on February 12th in memory of the discovery of the river Amazon in 1542 by Francisco de Orellana.
- Puyo´s Anniversary on the 10th of November
- The indigenous communities often arrange parades during the chonta-palm festival.